Children's Formation Resources
This page provides the Redeemer community with an eclectic collection of resources for family formation that we’ve found along our journey as Christian formation specialists. It’s brand new, and we are always looking for good suggestions of links to add.
Redeemer and other Episcopal Resources
Nativity Set Activity Book
Click here for the booklet on the cross-cultural history of the nativity set, as well as activities for engaging with this tradition.
Palm Cross Instructions
Click here for instructions on how to twist and fold your Palm Sunday palm into a cross.
Family Ministry News
A monthly e-newsletter full of book recommendations, seasonal inspiration, curriculum resources and supplies, as well as detailed hands-on exercises for deepening the spiritual life of the family. Compiled by Amy Cook, Christian Formation Specialist and Resource Center Manager for the Diocese of Massachusetts. Contact Amy Cook to join the Family Ministry News mailing list at acook [at] diomass [dot] org.
The Redeemer Advent Calendar Handbook
A leaflet filled with prayers and scripture for each Sunday of Advent, this handbook explains the tradition of the Advent wreath and other Advent rituals in anticipation for Christmas. Created by Redeemer staff members Sarah Allen, former Curate Marc Eames and Laine Walters Young, the printed handbook is seasonally available in the Sunday School.
The Redeemer Lenten Devotionals Storybook
A leaflet filled with illustrated Bible stories, this storybook provides children with a way to bring Lent home. Created by Redeemer staff members Sarah Allen, former Curate Marc Eames and Laine Walters Young, it is seasonally available in print in the Sunday School, but not online.
Episcopal 101: Father Matthew Presents
This web page of our Boston College Chaplaincy provides links to a video blogger priest from Yonkers whose accessible explanations of Episcopal practices and beliefs are brief and entertainingly aimed at a college-aged or older audience. http://www.episcopaleaglesbc.org/ECBC/Episcopal_101.html
Our Episcopal publisher, Church Publishing sells everything from Bibles and hymnals to books on Vestry leadership, family formation and individual devotionals. It also sells curriculum and some Christian accessories.http://www.churchpublishing.com
Outside (but really good) Resources
Beulah Enterprises: Imaginative and Spiritual Children's Toys
Our curriculum used in the K-3rd grade classes, this Montessori-based program has an incredible amount of resources and educational theory on its web site: www.godlyplay.com. Created by Jerome Berryman and the Godly Play Foundation.
This searchable database provides Biblical passage look-up in a variety of translations and languages. Redeemer staff use this resource when consulting different versions of the Bible for teaching purposes. http://www.biblegateway.com/
Our Book Recommendations
Books for children
- The Children's Illustrated Bible by Selina Hastings of DKPublishing
- Children's Everyday Bible by Selina Hastings of DKPublishing
- The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name by Sally Lloyd-Jones of Zonderkidz Publishing
- The Bible for Children by Murray Watts of Good Books Publishing
- Children of God Storybook Bible by Archbishop Desmond Tutu of Zondervan Publishing
For parents on raising spiritual children
- 10 Principles for Spiritual Parenting: Nurturing your Child's Soul by Mimi Doe
- The Families and Faith Series by Jossey-Bass Publishing
- In the Midst of Chaos: Caring for Children as Spiritual Practice by Bonnie J. Miller-McLemore (being read by the mother's group)
- What Size are God's Shoes? Kids, Chaos, and the Spritual Life by Tim Schenck (being read by the mother's group)